Four baroque paintings owned by the National Museum in Wrocław, originally from the old collections of the house of Hochberg von Pless, will decorate the ducal apartments of Książ Castle. This will be yet another collaboration between the National Museum in Wrocław and Książ Castle in Wałbrzych, initiated in 2015 alongside the opening of the “Metamorphosis of Książ Castle” exhibition.
The pieces made available present two scenes from ancient history (Alexander the Great as a patron of the arts and the duel between Horace and Bather), the Old Testament court of Salomon, as well as the Italian landscape of G.B. Castiglione. Before the war it belonged to the Hochberg von Pless family, in 1942 they fell into the hands of the Museum of Fine Arts in Wrocław, after the war in 1945 they were taken over by the Department of Museums and Monument Protection in the city of Wrocław, from which in 1948 they were sent to the collections of the State Museum (known as the National Museum since 1970) in Wrocław.
This year, the National Museum in Wrocław and Książ Castle signed a contract to continue on with their partnership for the next 4 years. Thus, the “Metamorphosis of Książ Castle” will already consist of 60 pieces from the collections of the National Museum in Wrocław, amongst multiple paintings from the Hochberg collection, 4 Baroque portraits of family members from different branches of the house and other pieces chosen to decorate the Castle’s interior
Sponsor of conservation of images loaned this year to Książ Castle ➸